Saturday, September 20, 2008

More On The Brisbane Writers Festival

A friend persuaded me to come out to the festival today and I ended up having a great time. I listened to a panel discussion featuring local historical romance authors Anna Campbell, Christine Wells, and Canadian writer Susan Parisi. The latter has written a novel set in 18th century Venice which sounds like very much my sort of book (I'll be off to the bookshop after payday!). The three ladies told some interesting stories about the perils of getting details wrong about historical periods, or conversely doing so much research that you get sidetracked and never finish your novel. I took notes.

I also picked up a membership application for Romance Writers of Australia Inc., who sound like they could be pretty helpful to a new writer like myself. The ladies at their stall gave me some sample newsletters which have some handy writing tips, plus a free Harlequin book by an Aussie author (Miranda Lee). All in all it was a pretty successful day. Now I must get back to my own writing!

No comments: